Sunday, June 15, 2014

the ghost Fish

I remember it was really dark, cool and quiet.  When my eyes adjusted I found I was on the bow of the ship.  I remember this, the brightest stars in the darkest night I ever seen, they looked like vapor frozen up there, it had starry masses, not just twinkling dots.  Clarity enough to see where we are placed in this galaxy.  The ship didn't move, and no machine noises polluted the air.  I felt graced with an ethereal serenity, it was spooky as fuck.  I looked into the water, there were no waves, no wind, just quiet black current under a mirror reflecting the brilliant sky.  Then I saw ghost fish, they lit up when they swam away and disappeared again.  It's from the plankton, when disturbed they glow briefly, bio-illuminescent blue-ish white.  I smiled, I remember I loved this.  I tried to recognize the fish, they had bloated middles and thin fins, with a saw-like feature down their backs, I think they are tuna.  There were others, some sharks, some small schools would get spooked and exploded away like fireworks.  I could watch this forever, then I saw something massive, something deep.  I thought maybe it's a whale surfacing, fucking cool!  I watched the mass get closer and closer, and more appeared around it, I thought that's a lot of whales, I felt foreboding, I felt excited and intimidated, I realized my palms were sweating under fists clenched at the railing.  I couldn't make it out, it began to move away, oh shit! No! I wanna see! I leaned over the railing and it stopped, I was able to single out one mass, and I realized it wasn't a whale, but a shoulder, then an arm, an elbow, a forearm, a wrist, a hand, fingers and a thumb.  I froze and I became scared, I shied away from the edge, I quietly loaded a chain of 7.62 Nato into one of the M60's.  I watched hoping it would go away, but he just floated there, submerged, palms up and the rest of his body made visible only by the plankton.  He was massive, his head and feet seemed to disappear under curves of invisible horizon.  I wanted the fucking ship to turn on, to start steaming ahead, but no hands worked the bridge, no quartermaster manned the helm.  I felt panicky, then calm suddenly.  I stopped feeling scared and remembered home.  I remembered I'm dreaming now, I'm asleep in my bed, so I watched him more, until all the plankton was swept away and dark clouds blotted out the stars.  I heard the wind pick up in the darkness, outside my window.  I heard the ship turn on, machinery whirring and cars passing, birds.. dog.. doors..

No comments:

Post a Comment