Sunday, May 11, 2014

the multicultural Mayhem

I remember I was in the fellowship hall of the church I grew up in.  There is a cutout in the wall leading to the kitchen, where I was looking out of, standing at attention.  I was in uniform, in my cracker-jacks, and was being prepped for standing detail in the fellowship hall.  I marched out and took my post near an extremely long dinner table, the fellowship hall had lengthened to fit it, the end of the room seemed to disappear it was so far.  The walls, normally a soft yellow, had turned brilliant white as well as the linoleum floor.  It started to fill with people, and the table was being set by folks who look like they work at Red Lobster.  Around where I stood, girls in differing pastel colored clothes danced around, each having a necklace reaching from the neck down past their hips, and just as wide, all made of blown glass.  The girls looked of Asian descent.  It looked like someone melted all the glass art in the middle of the mall stand into frail looking geometric shapes, but they danced without breaking them.  All the while, men wearing street clothes were moving among them, each holding spears.  The men looked of African descent.  They teased the girls, and soon started teasing me with sharp spears, poking at my uniform, testing my ability to remain at attention.  I became agitated, and also of the whole crazy scene.  When the table was filled with food in a catering buffet style, a procession brought out what looked like a cake.  It was suspended in a frail looking network of blown glass, like the necklaces.  They rolled it out to the table end and were about to transport it by hand from the cart to the table.  Vicariously, I wished they would screw it up and drop it, and they did.  I was close, so I reached a hand out to try and help save it, but the glass didn't hold, just broke around my hand like I punched through cotton candy.  The center cake portion plopped on the floor, catching glass pieces in it. Still, a sense of "haw-haw... called it!" satisfaction filled me, until I realized I broke attention.  Interestingly, the people were more upset at me than of the cake procession fucking up.  They yelled at me, and I started dodging the spear men stabbing and slicing at me.  Then, someone broke the mayhem by yelling the food is ready, and the people instantly lined up in a procession down the length of the table and across the walls, and disappearing down the hallway next to the kitchen.  It got very silent in the hall, not without people glaring at me with disgusted faces.  I was directing them with full plates out of the fellowship hall, and I realized I wasn't gesturing the direction with my arms, but I still stood at attention while gesturing with wings that had appeared on my back.  That's all I remember.  I also thought to myself what the actual fuck, man!?

No comments:

Post a Comment