Friday, December 5, 2014

the Lego tower

I dreamed that the mayor of a city, I don't know where, commissioned me to do an art project.  I asked a school of elementary kids to help me build a sculpture out of Legos.  The mayor was expecting something else, I guess, but since the project got so much attention because of the children, he let me continue.  I asked the kids to start building a life size skyscraper, thinking they would only build a small tower.  They were having fun, and I left them to get more Legos, I was planning to build a sculpture on the backside of the tower in secret.  The mayor said he would keep bringing in more Legos as the children needed them, so I started working on my sculpture.  As I was building, the tower that the children were building was becoming exponentially taller, and I kept having to make my sculpture bigger and bigger.  I was building a Gundam, from a Japanese animated series, I figured that would blow the kids away and any other geek like me.  The children finished their tower, and when I finished my Lego sculpture our work was literally as tall as a skyscraper, like 100 stories tall.  When I finally reached the ground, all the kids were looking at my sculpture and they were blown away, I felt proud of my work seeing them "shine" with amazement.  I hadn't seen the tower they built from the front, so I went to look.  When I walked around, it was not what I expected from elementary children, the tower looked like a cathedral with artwork in the windows to mimic stained glass, and recessed sculpting that depicted anything you can imagine a child would imagine.  It was monolithic, it overwhelmed me what they did, I felt my face drop into a stupor and a fluttering tightness drop into my belly, that's all I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment