Saturday, February 15, 2014

the white Horse

First I remember how sore my thighs were.  I stopped on the side of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere it seemed.  Lot's of sagebrush between two sloping hills miles apart, all i could see.  I was on a mountain bike, and i started to stretch my quads.  It seemed silent, until a wild horse appeared far off.  It was white, almost satin like it was wet and reflected the sun's rays, what would be a majestic look if not for the sheen accentuating it's emaciation.  It had a slightly sunk in belly, skin sinking around its hips and shoulders, and I could make out the ribs.  Suddenly, the sky became loud and buzzing, choppy like a lawnmower.  From every direction, and without order or formation, specks of planes appeared, low on the horizons.  Countless specks, every time I turned around it seems like more spawned behind me, with some featuring colorful banners streaming behind.  They came closer and closer, and seemed to all head toward the space above the horse, who was trotting in circles and stomping the earth energetically.  One by one, like watching a parade if the parade was not limited by a single street, the planes dipped low and passed over the horse.  It was a slow and steady chaos watching them, as each released what looked like confetti in the distance, showering the area around the horse.  Now I feel extremely curious and I start to walk toward the sight.  When I get closer I discover its actually garbage being dumped, and the horse was scavenging through it.  Now a big plane was coming, it looked like a WWII bomber and had an extremely long banner of red and white stripes streaming behind it.  It dipped very low toward the sight, and started to release an avalanche of garbage while pitching up.  It started to look like a disaster, like watching a slow but inevitable destruction, the bomber doesn't make it up before its tail smashes into the ground.  The entire plane flips over itself in a violent burst of flame.  I felt shocked and scared, and I was running back toward the road with an urgent feeling like I'm not supposed to be here or I had been caught trespassing, that feeling if you ever had it. I imagined the horse galloping away also, but didn't actually see it doing so.  That's all I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment