Saturday, February 1, 2014

the telephone wire & the Angel

First I saw the canyon, and I know where it is, the very spot.  A stream bed, usually dry yet defined like a natural highway.  I know where this road leads and begins, and it lies between Castle Rock and Angel Peak.  There is a cool wind and it is overcast.  The air smells like rain but it hasn't come.  I know for sure I'm in a potentially bad situation and start clambering over myself to get out.  I'm not going to follow it to the exit, I need to climb out to the top of the canyon.  The ground is moist, each dry step collapses, revealing mud and clay underneath, my thighs burn as I collect more sticky mud weight on my boots and ankles.  Then I feel a sense of panic, a sense of dread and urgency, at a small amount of water trickling past and filling my deep footprints slowly.  I can hear thunder clapping miles away.  Then everything happened exponentially.  The trickle turned several larger, and made me sink to my knees, my heart pounded hot pulses into my ears as I stepped into what felt like cables or telephone wires.  Someones long forgotten, buried garbage, and I curse all of humanity, the only way to include the f***head who dumped this.  Suddenly life gets very awkward to hold onto, I can't get a solid footing to pull.  The ground is thick, and hides the mess that seems to wrap itself and tie itself at my ankle more, matching the rushing water that had reached my waist line.  I dig and dig, but it kept refilling itself, I pulled at the wires until I had to take a breath and dive to reach them, then I took out the knife and dove again, plunging it into the earth, trying to catch any length of wire on its edge.  It was not working, I surfaced again, the hyperventilating shortens my ability to hold a breath, and soon it seems I will not be able to hold onto even that one.  I felt a sense of unfairness, like I lost control and I want to beg but there is no one to beckon.  As the water reached my shoulders, as I beckoned with my own brain to produce a damn good idea right now, I heard a voice behind me.  Suddenly, I felt hope, the adrenal rage warming me robbed by the water and I started to shiver. She asked what I'm gonna do now, and I can't turn around to face her.  I feel debris in the rushing water slam into my body, weeds forming around me, helping the flow force me deeper.  I scream "I don't know!!", she answers, "Sometimes you have to cut off pieces of yourself!".  I felt the knife in my near cold dead fingers and a sickening feeling.  An urgent gut wrenching wave of adrenaline at this messed up decision I have to make.  I remember ,before I woke up with a fluttery heart, trying to take the deepest breath I ever made and strategizing how to get through the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment