Tuesday, September 16, 2014

the watch Stander

I dreamed I was in a canyon, it looked like Angel Peak.  I felt a sense of urgency, like when you're doing something wrong.  I was definitely being sneaky.  I passed someone on the hiking path, he was in a military uniform.  I saluted him and he said my watch is over and I should go to sleep now.  I complied, and asked if I could get some food first.  He said alright and to hurry, but I intended to escape with my belongings.  I continued to the bottom of the canyon and found there were bunks out in the open and people occupying them, with the ground seeming to slowly rise to devour them in their sleep.  Considering I was after the contents in my bunk, I realized it was everything I own in a small box.  I crept past the sleeping soldiers to my bunk, where underneath I had hidden a munitions box. Inside were 7.62 and 9mm bullets, and a folder with documents.  I put the bullets in my coat pockets and looked over the documents.  One of them wasn't mine, it was a receipt to a hotel I didn't stay at.  I looked over it like "how the fuck did this get in here?"  Reading the details, it became familiar and hurtful what it stood for.  I placed it on the ground and watched the dirt slowly cover it, keeping myself moving so the rising sands wouldn't swallow my boots up.  When I got my folder tucked in my jacket, I ran toward the canyon walls, I started to climb quickly, each time I looked back the sand had covered more and more bunks, swallowed up more soldiers in their sleep.  I got to the top and my legs burned.  I felt an uncontrollable rush of sadness when I realized I was alone.  There was no car parked in the lot, no familiar face to take me home.  I just started to walk, hands in my pockets full of ammunition.  I just kept walking with a lump in my throat, the earth crunching under my boots.  That's all I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment