Sunday, March 23, 2014

the dead and dumb Folks

First thing I saw was a pier over a lake, leading into a cave or mine looking entrance.  It was old and dirty looking, with rusted rail tracks and splintered, swollen wood.  On the tracks were a length of carts with wooden chests on them, just as rotted as the entire setup.  The ground was sandstone and dirt, barren of life as much as I could see.  I was conscious that there were men working in the mine even though I couldn't see them, and I felt an urgency to get back in there myself.  I was looking on the carts through my toolbox, and a mans voice told me to hurry the fuck up, and get back inside.  I replied I needed batteries for my flashlight, then suddenly the guy grabs my box and drops it into the water and leaves.  I was angry, but felt that sort of oppression like there was nothing really i could do about it.  I had an idea though, if I dropped the chests into the water they would make me go get it, and in doing so I could retrieve my toolbox.  After releasing the brakes and dumping it, another man came out the mine to assess the mess, and I told him it was an accident, but I would dive down with a rope so we could pull them out.  He agreed, and when I dove, I realized the chests had sunk into a vertical mine shaft on the lake bottom.  I didn't find my tools, but when I entered the mine shaft there was no water in it.  Other people started coming in once I found it and opened a door.  Inside was more like outside, the room was endless and had a sun which was setting.  The door was in a wall that rotated, stopping in each compass direction, I guessed since it first opened toward the setting sun.  It would continue to the next only after a few seconds.  There were also people there, spaced away from each other and in ethereal moods.  They looked dead and dumb.  I decided to leave, and the group I came in with were arguing which direction the door was facing when they entered.  I assured them it was west, but they resisted.  Some more people came out the door, yelling that whatever direction was wrong and it opened up to other places where more people were lost.  I was noticing a few people get very fed up with the arguing, and in a rage would take some space to themselves, walk away and look as dead and dumb as the people already there.  That's all I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment